Every year since 1986, OVFF has held at least one songwriting competition in order to encourage the creation of new songs and increase the number of active song writers in the Filk community. That, and it’s a lot of fun! This year we are again holding two contests.
FIRST CONTEST: The Cat’s Meow
The first contest, to be held Saturday evening, is the traditional type: write a song on a topic (see above) announced in advance. Entries should be new material of limited distribution written between October 2020 and October 2022, that was NOT submitted to the Songwriting Contest at nOVFF in 2020 or OVFF in 2021. (This will be the last year we accept songs within the last 2 years- we will return to our regular 1 year limit for 2023).
SECOND CONTEST: Iron Filker
Our second contest is intended to test your wits and the speed of your pen. A surprise topic is announced at the opening of the con. You then have the weekend to write, and then the song is presented Sunday afternoon. We ask for at least three verses and a chorus.
Entering our Song Contest or Iron Filker Contest online
If you would like to enter one or both of our song contests this year, please fill out THIS FORM and submit it to our programming team. If you want to enter both contests, you will need to submit this form once for each contest you enter. You can also submit your entries in person at the programming station in the main concert room before the announced song contest deadlines or until maximum participation limit has been reached. We will need FOUR copies of your lyrics. You also need to include your name, the name of the song, and “to the tune of” information (or indicate it is an original tune).
- The songs can be original lyrics and music OR new lyrics to existing music.
- Entries in the first contest should be new material of limited distribution written within the previous year. Entries in the second contest must be written at the convention.
- Songs are to be performed in front of a live audience for a panel of three judges.
- Songs are judged on the quality of the writing–not on the strength of the performance.
- An Audience Choice award is also voted on by the entire audience.
- If the songwriter is not a performer, the entry may be performed by a friend. (Please note that the songwriter must be in attendance at the convention in order to enter.)
- You must bring four (4) copies of your song for the judges or submit your song on line using the link above. Include your name, song name, ttto info (or original) with your lyrics
Signup sheets will be made available Friday evening at the opening of the convention on a first come, first served basis. The number of entries permitted may be limited, so be sure to sign up early.
If you have any questions as to the appropriateness of the entry, contact us (or, for Iron Filker questions, please seek out an OVFF concom member).