Every year since 1986, OVFF has held at least one songwriting competition in order to encourage the creation of new songs and increase the number of active song writers in the Filk community. That, and it’s a lot of fun! This year we are again holding two contests.
FIRST CONTEST: The Cat’s Meow
The first contest, to be held Saturday evening, is the traditional type: write a song on a topic (see above) announced in advance. Entries should be new material of limited distribution written between October 2021 and October 2022, that was NOT submitted to the Songwriting Contest at nOVFF in 2021.
SECOND CONTEST: Iron Filker
Our second contest is intended to test your wits and the speed of your pen. A surprise topic is announced at the opening of the con. You then have the weekend to write, and then the song is presented Sunday afternoon. We ask for at least three verses and a chorus.
- The songs can be original lyrics and music OR new lyrics to existing music.
- Entries in the first contest should be new material of limited distribution written within the previous year. Entries in the second contest must be written at the convention.
- Songs are to be performed in front of a live audience for a panel of three judges.
- Songs are judged on the quality of the writing–not on the strength of the performance.
- An Audience Choice award is also voted on by the entire audience.
- If the songwriter is not a performer, the entry may be performed by a friend. (Please note that the songwriter must be in attendance at the convention in order to enter.)
- Please bring four (4) copies of your song for the judges.
Signup sheets will be made available Friday evening at the opening of the convention on a first come, first served basis. The number of entries permitted may be limited, so be sure to sign up early.
If you have any questions as to the appropriateness of the entry, contact us (or, for Iron Filker questions, please seek out an OVFF concom member).